Monday, May 02, 2011

Morning reading

I have been reading "the Gift from the Sea" by Anne Morrow Lindbergh as my morning reading recently. I hesitate to use the word devotional reading because I think it is a book that many people could read who might not categorise anything they read under that heading. I can't remember where I first heard of the title either, though I'm fairly sure it would be on a blog somewhere in blogworld.
Here is a quote where the author talks of our need for "the stilling of the soul within the activities of the mind and body so that it might be still as the axis of a revolving wheel is still'






Another quote"One learns to accept the fact that no permanent return is possible to an old form of relationship; and, more deeply still, that there is no holding of a relationship to a single form. This is not tragedy but part of the ever-recurrent miracle of life and growth. All living relationships are in process of change, of expansion, and must perpetually be building themselves new forms. But there is no single fixed form to express such a changing relationship. There are perhaps different forms for each sucessive stasge....Duration is not a test of true or false. The day of the dragon-fly or the night of the Saturnid moth is not invalid simply because that phase in its lifecycle is brief. Validity need have no relation to time, to duration, to continuity. It is on another plane, judged by other standards. It relates to the actual moment in time and place."and what is actual is actual only for one time and only for one place."

I hope you will be encouraged to seek out this small treasure of simplicity and read it.


As a postscript the images are ones I took during the weekend of our seasonal changes

No comments: