Sunday, August 23, 2009

Because its Sunday


The Magnificent Treasures of the Holy Mass Transubstantiation. This is the belief from the beginning of Christianity that when you take and eat this bread you are actually consuming God himself. A great gift. When this was taught to Jesus' followers many rebelled and left as shown in the accompanying passage from the Bible. Interestingly when Martin Luther helped bring about the Protestant Reformation (although he isn't entirely responsible), he still believed in Transubstantiation. That was about 1517 about 490 years ago.So for more than 1,500 years this belief persisted and still today resides in the Roman Catholic Church.
The Magnificent Treasures of the Holy Mass

From John Chapter 6
6:54. Then Jesus said to them: Amen, amen, I say unto you: except you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you shall not have life in you.
6:55. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life: and I will raise him up in the last day.
6:56. For my flesh is meat indeed: and my blood is drink indeed.
6:57. He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood abideth in me: and I in him.
6:58. As the living Father hath sent me and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, the same also shall live by me.
6:59. This is the bread that came down from heaven. Not as your fathers did eat manna and are dead. He that eateth this bread shall live for ever.
6:60. These things he said, teaching in the synagogue, in Capharnaum.
6:61. Many therefore of his disciples, hearing it, said: This saying is hard; and who can hear it?
6:62. But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples murmured at this, said to them: Doth this scandalize you?
6:63. If then you shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
6:64. It is the spirit that quickeneth: the flesh profiteth nothing. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.

No comments: